Thursday, February 16

My Life's Hero!!!!


Without a doubt the hero in my life is...
MY DAD!!!!
OK so many people might say that but in my case you have to undestand my DAD if that is at all possible. You see he is the stong silent type and I know too that that can be considered a cliche but again you need to understand my Dad.

He is built beautifully, he has the greatest physique and at almost 71 he can still put my brothers and BIL to shame. He has the greatest pecs, fabulous shoulders and biceps LOL. I have never seen him not be able to lift something and to tell you the truth I get my physical strength from him. He looks like an older James Dean only better...at least in my opinion. But beyond that it is so much more. You see my Dad is illerate and definately not proudly so. So much that I was, I think in my early teens before I really understood that he was. It was a carefully guarded secret that he did not want to share with his children. It became apparent to me that he wanted so much more for us.

For the longest time I believed that my Dad owned his own helicopter - why wouldn't I, he would come home from work in one LOL. I also thought that he finished grade 13. Funny thing is that until my High School years the Newfoundland System only went to grade 11. My Dad had a hard life, he quit school before grade 3 and began to work in the woods in Newfoundland. He is the type of man that even to this day would and could put 12 hours of work into an 8 hour day. He had many jobs but was always a stable and steadfast kinda character. When us 4 kids were small my Dad always worked away from home on Survey jobs wanting to do the best he could for us. But when I was 3 years old - as my Mom tells it - he came home one weekend and seemed to look at his family in a different way, realizing that we were all growing up and he was missing it all. He quit that job to take one close to home. Very likely for lesser pay and benefits. He became my best freind and would take me everywhere with him. From joy riding on the ski-doo to rabbit hunting. I have had many adventures with my Dad. There were times when money and food was scarce but we always had something to eat and clean clothes to wear and a roof over our heads - our roof. HE would never take charity and refused any sort of assistance - even though I am sure we qualified. We always had fun - he was a fun Dad to have. At one point he decided that he wanted us kids to experience camping and so our first camping adventures started out in an old parachute as a tent - no idea where that came from LOL and as the years passed level after level we eventually graduated to a cottage. Which we still have and I love it.

But there is still more you see as my Dad is the type of man who would and does offer assistance to anyone and everyone but will usually never ask for it. My Dad is not a religious man yet he refuses to say a bad thing about anyone and has always challenged us kids to be the better person and step above another's treatment. He chooses not to retailate but calmly states that "I will live just as long!" My Dad is a very dignified kind of person but don't get me wrong he is not stuffy and boring in fact he is the complete opposite. He is fun, a mischief maker, a grand story teller, an adventurer and generally game for just about anything. He is respectful and caring but he is not emotional - in fact I believe I was an adult before he actually could articulate "I love You".

He has stood beside me in my life decisions, just wanting me to be happy - he accepts Me! He is someone I can look up to and respect!

He is without a doubt has been my first love and my greatest love.


He is My Hero, He is my Dad!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie, this is beautiful. I read every single word, and I am touched. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man, and I have to say I'm not surprised that he raised a all-round great gal like you. (((hugs))) my friend...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Such a joy to hear about a relationship with a parent so full of love and life and energy. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful person, very deserving of the word Hero. As children, we all want that kind of parent, and as parents, we all hope to be such a good role model and friend and positive force in our childrens' lives. Your unabashed joy, pride and love is like sunshine to me. Thanks for sharing, and for brightening my day, C